Thursday, August 19, 2010

Potty Trained!

I can't believe that I am writing this post. It seems like just yesterday I was changing Harper's new born diapers. I get teary eyed just thinking about how fast the last 23 months have gone. We are quickly approaching Harper's 2nd birthday. She is such a beautiful, fun, caring, sweet, little girl and we praise God for the way that she loves people and continues to grow. I am often AMAZED at her vocabulary and the things that she remembers about God. It is so true that children have a unique faith and her budding faith has encouraged mine over the last 2 years. She remembers the names of Adam and Eve, can tell me about Noah and the rainbow as a sign of God's promises, she knows that Abraham's son's name is Issac and she remember's the story of Moses in the basket. So amazing for a child that is not even 2. I am not trying to boast but mearly sharing the way that Christ is working in her sweet little heart. God's word has a way of hidding itself in our hearts even at a young little age. Such an encouragement to me to continue to grow and challenge my own heart.

To switch gears....I wrote this post to share the most recent milestone...IT'S OFFICIAL HARPER IS POTTY TRAINED. She has been going to the big girl potty for the last month and is doing great! Thanks to a dear friend of mine's encouragement we took the potty training in a day route. That's right ONE DAY! I was a little skeptical at first but it really worked. I read the book Potty Training 1,2,3 and set out to try the plan.

Adam and I took Harper to the store to pick out special treats, panties, and prizes. She had so much fun being involved. Then we set everything out on the kitchen counter as a motivator. The next day I stayed home all day and gave her lots and lots of liquids. She walked her baby doll through the process of going potty and she was rewarded for being a good helper. Then it was her turn to try. Each time she went potty in the big girl potty she got a double treat and each time she stayed clean and dry she got a single treat. We did this all day. She ate lots of sugar but by the end of the day she was potty trained! It was a completely positive experience because she was never felt forced and the whole day was a BIG PARTY to her.

Here are a few pictures:

Sitting on her froggy potty. At night she would say "night night froggy potty" and wanted to give him a kiss. She got very attached.






Harper enjoying a treat from the neighborhood ice cream truck. She hung out in her Dora and Elmo panties all day =)















Harper and I singing potty songs.











Overall, the experience was a positive one. It was a very SPECIAL day and one where we got to spend a lot of quality time hanging out by the potty =). We are so proud of her and we heard her the next morning telling her dolly how proud of her she was. So cute!

We still put a pull up on her at naps and night time. She just started waking up dry this week so I think we will transition to panties during those times soon. It has been nice to have a break from diapers before we have this next little girl. Only 7 more weeks to go. I am relishing the time I have with Harper before our family changes again.

4 comments:

Erynn said...

Sara,
You are such a good mom. I get little tears just thinking of how special you made this time. It could have been a disaster but you put effort into making it special so you could have even more memories. I'm so glad to have you walk beside me in being a mom.

love you

Lindsey Davis said...

That is awesome, Sara! I will have to get pointers from you when that time comes. Sounds like such a special day for Harper. And she is just darling by the way.

Lindsey said...

She is getting to be such a big girl! I still have her baby announcement on our refrigerator and have been looking at it and wondering where the past 2 years have gone. You are such a great role model mommy to us first timers. I'm so thankful for you.

marc and trisha said...

Way to go Harper and way to go mama!